Homeowners Insurance: Am I Covered When It Comes to Hurricanes?

Protecting your investment in your home with good homeowners insurance is a must. If you live in an area that is prone to hurricanes, that means you may want to consider buying a hurricane policy for your home in addition to your homeowners’ policy. Your home insurance covers many things, but hurricane damage isn’t included.

If you aren’t sure what your homeowners’ policy includes, it is best to talk to your insurance provider. They will help you build a policy that works for you and includes all of the different coverages you need to fully protect your home.

Basic Homeowners Coverage

Your basic home insurance policy covers several things. Your home, personal possessions, and future home-related liabilities are included in most basic policies. Being able to replace or repair the items within your home is essential, but it is also important to protect yourself from claims that are filed if someone is injured while visiting your home. There are also specific events that are excluded from standard home insurance coverage. This includes damages caused by certain types of flooding, hurricanes, and earthquakes.

Hurricanes and Floods

Hurricanes and floods go hand in hand. They are also excluded from most basic homeowners insurance policies. Hurricanes and floods create specific types of damage which need to be covered by a separate policy. In some cases, both hurricane and flood insurance may be required in addition to your basic homeowners’ policy. Your insurer can help you determine which types of insurance you need and in the right combination. This balance is necessary to fully protect your home and financial well-being. Living in an area where floods and hurricanes are common will mean taking a good hard look at what types of insurance you need the most.

Wind Damage

Wind damage is one type of natural disaster that is covered by a large majority of homeowners’ policies. However, there are a few that exclude it, especially if it is associated with hurricanes. Make sure to get in touch with an insurance expert who will review your homeowners’ insurance policy and determine whether or not you need to include additional policies. In most cases, if you live in an area where storms are common, you will want to purchase additional coverage to protect your home and financial security.

Living in a hurricane-prone area means having specific types of insurance in place that will pick up where your basic homeowners’ policies leave off. Contact our team of expert professionals at Locke Insurance Group to ensure you have all of the coverage you need to protect your home. Schedule an appointment with us to review your homeowners’ policy and make sure you are adequately protected.

Comments are closed.