Renters insurance coverage covers your belongings stored on and off-premises (rental home/apartment and storage units) against named perils and events in your policy. However, does it cover spoiled food? Yes, renters insurance covers lost or spoiled food in some circumstances. Let us discuss them.
When does Renters Insurance Cover Food Loss?
Your renters will cover food loss if covered perils damage your freezer or refrigerator:
- Water or steam leakage/overflow
- Hail and windstorm
- Damage caused by steam-heating or water-heating appliances/systems
- Freezing of air conditioning, plumbing, and heating
- Fire and lightning
It will also cover food loss resulting from some power outages:
- Short-circuit damage caused by electrical appliances
- Power outages caused away from your rental home, such as a tree falling on a power line in your neighborhood
However, renters insurance does not cover power surge damage that is not caused by a covered peril. For example, if your defective outlet shuts off power to your refrigerator, spoiling all your food, you will not be covered. However, power outages caused by explosions, fire, riots, etc. can be covered.
When Is Not Food Loss Covered by Renters Insurance?
Your renters insurance will not reimburse you for the lost food if:
- Your freezer or refrigerator sustains wear and tear damage
- You skip regular maintenance, which results in a breakdown
- The damage to your freezer or refrigerator is caused by earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters
When Should I File a Claim for Food Loss?
While renters insurance covers food loss, you should determine whether filing a claim worth your deductible and returns. Renters insurance may have a deductible of $500-1000. So, you need to pay the deductible amount out of pocket for your coverage to kick start. If a covered peril damages your food and other equipment, such as a TV, washing machine, and refrigerator, you can include food loss too in your claim.
However, suppose the covered peril damages the food in your freezer or refrigerator, leaving other things. In that case, it is better to avoid filing a claim, as replacing the food yourself will not cost much. Also, you can prevent your renters insurance cost from increasing by avoiding filing a claim.
Do I Need Equipment Breakdown Coverage?
You can add equipment breakdown coverage to your renters insurance policy to cover your home appliances, including refrigerator or freezer, against electrical or mechanical failure, including:
- An artificial electrical current, such as electric arcing
- Accidental breakdown resulting from improper installation
- Mechanical breakdown, such as rupture or bursting resulting from centrifugal force
Now you know when renters insurance will cover food loss, so you can make informed decisions about filing claims. If you want extensive protection for your appliances, you can buy equipment breakdown coverage.
Cover Yourself Against Food Loss with Locke Insurance!
At Locke Insurance Group, we offer an all-inclusive renters insurance policy that protects your rental home’s contents including the contents of your refrigerator and freezer, against potential risks. So, you will be reimbursed for the food loss. Contact our insurance professionals today to get started on your personalized renters insurance.